Friday, March 11, 2011

Say Hi

As promised in this post, here is the first review. I showed up to The Black Cat to find that they no longer have PBR on tap (damnit!), but the tall boy was obviously ok as I was just in time to catch the end of the first opening act - Blair. I was bored to tears, so I left and went to sit at the bar and wait for Yellow Ostrich to come on, who I was looking forward to. They were a much better performance, and I'm glad I didn't ditch the show all together.

That is, until Say Hi came on. Talk about an ugly band, my god. And completely mediocre. I mean, I didn't go in expecting them to blow my mind, but I did go with the expectation that it would be a good time. It was not, and by that point, some dude named Eddie had shared his giant shot of whiskey with me and Chuck the bartender had decided he liked my company and given me another one for free. I was feeling no pain, people, except for the mediocrity of the Seattle-based set.

If you are going to claim Seattle as your base, you better be able to place yourself up with the likes of Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden and Alice in Chains. Side note: poor Alice... I guess by now you've heard about the second drug overdose to befall the band... former bassist Mike Starr bit the dust on Tuesday, likely due to a drug overdose, joining Layne Staley in the tragic tale of drug addiction (though he wasn't found for 2 weeks after his speed ball overdose).

But anyway, back to Say Hi. More like, "Say Bye" which is what I did about 4 songs in because it was that un-fun. Sorry guys, your albums are pretty good, but you put on a crap show. Maybe I have a hard time with lead singers who are the drummer? Because it was honestly my problem with Telekinesis too... which is tomorrow's show.

I'll obviously keep you posted. Oh, and the "feeling now pain" part of Wednesday night did not translate well into Thursday morning, in which I was most definitely feeling a lot of pain. Fucking hangover blues.

No comments:

Post a Comment