Thursday, May 1, 2014

[Song of the Day] - 'Serve the Servants' - Nirvana

While I started out my day listening to the ladies, including St. Vincent and Tori Amos, ultimately, I found myself dying to hear 'Serve the Servants', the opening song from Nirvana's In Utero

I have many memories tied to this album, including my teenage musical awakening to bands like Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Archers of Loaf, Alice in Chains, Soundgarden (of which, Dave Grohl speaks of hearing 'Black Hole Sun' for the first time, and it's amazing). We poured hours into understanding this album - reading into lyrics, identifying with the anger and sadness, wishing to be Kurt's beloved, as if we could ease his distain. Indeed, my teenage angst has paid off well, and now I am bored and old. Or so it is told. 

The last time I listened to this album was on the eve of a break up. Put on by the bartender at one of my soon-to-be ex's favorite haunts. Too much whiskey and malaise, the sing-along pushed me over the edge and I knew it was over. Don't worry, I don't miss the comfort in being sad.       

So here we are, and whatever the reason, teen angst or adult unrest, today, May 1, deserves a little Nirvana love, and In Utero is doing the trick.  


No comments:

Post a Comment